Under IDEA 2004, LEAs are allowed to set aside a portion of their Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Part B allocation to support activities in a Title I schoolwide program under section 1114 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) (34 CFR §300.206).
Optional IDEA fund set-asides must be calculated and expended at the school level. The funding that may be set-aside is based on the fiscal year. Any unspent funds earmarked for Title I schoolwide activities are returned to the LEA’s general entitlement pot at the end of the fiscal year.
Students with disabilities attending the schoolwide school must continue to receive services in accordance with properly developed IEPs and must be afforded all of the rights and services guaranteed to children with disabilities under IDEA.
Title I Schoolwide Activities Set-Aside Instructions - This document includes:
- What is meant by “Title I Schoolwide Activities Set-Aside"
- Which LEAs may use this optional set-aside
- Allowable costs for IDEA funds used to support Title I schoolwide activities
- How the set-aside is calculated
- Instructions for using the Schoolwide Set-Aside Calculator
- Identifying Title I schoolwide activity costs in the IDEA budget
- Accounting for Title I schoolwide activity costs
- What time and effort records must be kept for staff funded with IDEA-Title I schoolwide funds
- IDEA Regulations Regarding Title I Schoolwide Set-Aside Funds
Schoolwide Set-Aside Calculators - Excel spreadsheet calculators to assist LEAs in determining the max amount of IDEA Part B funds that may be set-aside and expended at the schoolwide school.
- FY 2013 Schoolwide Set-Aside Calculator (updated October 2012 to include new Title I Schoolwide Schools)
- FY 2012 Schoolwide Set-Aside Calculator
- FY 2011 Schoolwide Set-Aside Calculator
- FY 2010 Schoolwide Set-Aside Calculator
Online Modules: IDEA Funds to Support Title I Activities
- Overview: Title I Schoolwide IDEA Set-Aside - requires Flash
- Application Process: Title I Schoolwide IDEA Set-Aside - requires Flash